Booty Calls


The Cellphone: one of the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse
Dearest Reader,

I've just finished my preparations for a studio (recording) session which will begin in 20 hrs' time. The song, if I have any say on it, since it is a collaboration, shall be called "How Dare You?" and it is about a booty call receiver who has become too big for their boots; a booty call who has forgotten their position in the lover hierarchy by forgetting that booty calls are after all, disposable. Before we go any further, even though I am sure we all know what a booty call is, let us see its definition:

A Booty call is defined as follows by the Urban Dictionary:
"A late night summons -- often made via telephone -- to arrange clandestine sexual liaisons on an ad hoc basis."
I couldn't have said it better myself. The operative words are "summons" and "ad hoc".

In the song I wrote about one or two particular dynamics of such a tryst, the fact that it is not a relationship of equal power, that there is an authority, the one who makes the calls, and then there is the used party who receives instructions and performs their "job". But, in some cases, the power distribution gets muddled as the call receiver either tries to get their power back, or as the call receiver loses interest in the relationship, by refusing to do as they are told. Then, the authority in such a relationship becomes beffudled and incensed by the refusal to have the booty call do as they are told, asking, "How Dare You [refuse me]? You are nothing but a booty call. You have over-estimated your worth if you think that refusing me will make you more valuable to me." Basically, the song is about one or both parties being caught up in a power struggle of sorts.

I found it quite interesting to write such a song because I have never allowed myself to write about the superficial side of life. Yes, booty calls are superficial and they aren't usually a source of artistic inspiration. I am happy that I received an opportunity to make such a song because it took me out of my comfort zone in sound and in content. The fact is, I have been someone's booty call, I am sure, but it was nothing to write about. Anyway, the song is a dance track; a house music track. When it is completed and available, I will try to post it here or include it in my album. We shall see how things progress.

I am sure that you are dying to find out whether the song is about me receiving or whether it is about me giving a booty call. As I sit here, staring at the computer screen, wondering if I should tell you, laughter bubbles up because this whole thing is amusing, really. I never saw it coming, "ït" being me writing a song about a booty call, or even contemplating booty calls generally. I mean, what's next? A song about shopping? Or lip gloss? I do go shopping and I sometimes use lip-gloss, but does it justify writing a song about it? The only consolation is that, this is an issue which has almost all humans in mental anguish, i.e. being used for sex or using others for sex. We've all been on one of the sides of this coin.
Power Struggles

Booty calls are flawed. They are a result of this patriarchal system we live in, in other words, booty calls are stupid. In any union where there is not an equality of power and respect, where one party feels cheapened and devalued, problems will always arise, hearts will be broken and tears will be shed. Booty calls cheapen sex, something very sacred, although equally mundane.

On my side though, anyone who has ever cheapened me, or ever made me shed a tear has always had their asses kicked by karma. I don't know what it is. Maybe I was born to be a catalyst to people's pain, which would be a horrible reason to have been birthed, but it is a pattern I have seen. No one, I mean no one who has made me shed a tear has ever found peace in their lives thereafter. I once felt that this was the reason why I didn't have peace either. Believe me, I have prayed that peace be with the heartbreaking fuckers, but my prayers have not been heard. Therefore, being used, although painful, is a pain that passes. It is more like embarrassment, anyway that I could be treated so badly and allow it. Those who have hurt me, have been observed to experience everlasting discontent thus far. Maybe they'll snap out of it. So, due to such, I have learned to let things go. I forgive. I forget even. I can forgive because I have seen that... I dunno. Why kick people when they are about to get the worst beating from life?

Have you guessed which I am? The booty call giver or the receiver?

Anyway, I am tired and pissed now from thinking about this shite. So, I am gonna stop typing because this is about to get out of hand. Let me read my horoscope for today from astro.com and sleep. I was going to watch the Oscars. Apparently they are going to start in 20 minutes, but I am going to rest. I'm starting to have indigestion thinking about being used by men for sex. A smart woman like me? Falling for such rubbish? How does that happen? SMH. Sometimes I wonder if I am intelligent at all. Honestly! At this moment, I am convinced that I am stupid.

Okay, the feeling is gone now. I feel smart again, but hurt.

Thank You for reading my convoluted thoughts.

Veronnica Wolpendz
Love, Peace, Power!

My actual horoscope for 27 Feb 2012

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ugh! Bleh! Whatever!

Victory!

I am the Phantom Menace Incarnate!