There There, It'll all get better....

Radiohead

Another Blog from MySpace

-->
I have an obsessive thing when it comes to music that makes me listen to one song on repeat all day. I can’t stop until I get enough. Usually when I am done listening to a song, I leave it for a long time, even a year at times, and at times I just never listen to it again. I am listening to such a song, but I haven’t had enough of it even if it has been years of knowing and listening to it. This song always comes back, always. It is probably one of my favorite songs. It is haunting and so tragically true.
Here are the lyrics:
There There by Radiohead (geniuses)....

In pitch dark I go walking in your landscape
Broken branches trip me as I speak Just ‘cause you feel it doesn't mean it's there Just ‘cause you feel it doesn't mean it's there....
There's always a siren singing you to shipwreck ....
Stay away from these rocks we'd be a walking disaster ....
Just ‘cause you feel it doesn't mean it's there ....
Just ‘cause you feel it doesn't mean it's there ....
There there....
Why so green
And lonely x3
Heaven sent you
To me x3....
We are accidents waiting
Waiting to happen
We are accidents waiting
Waiting to happen....


(don't reach out, don't reach out x2)
(don't reach out, don't reach out x2)
(there's someone on your shoulder x2)
(there's someone on your shoulder x2)....





I always try to give other songs a chance in my life, in order to be fair, but life is not fair. I always try to forget how influential my favorites are by trying to get new favorites in an attempt to expand my mind. But my mind is as it is, and it is not budging, it is made up and I am never going to be able to replace the older bands with the new ones. I try but I can not. I am not going to lament the death of good music, because maybe good music is still alive and I am merely growing older.  
Okay, Radiohead is just freakishly good, or I am in a state of some sort because as I listen to this song, I am filled with both pleasure and pain simultaneously. Of course, they have tons of other songs, Kid A and the all famous Creep (which is a song I use to invite people to RadioheadLand) amongst other gems, including a beauty called True Love Waits, which is a song I’ve taken to  playing on my guitar before I sleep as it is such a soothing melody.
I am fixed in my ways, and my heart seems to be closed off to anything else but to those whom I have loved since I was young.  Opening my heart always, always fails. What happens is that I latch on to something new for a short while, but the love soon wears off and always, what remains are my all time favorites, my timeless loves and my foundations, Radiohead being one of them.
I suppose any song, band or musician that was playing while one was young and impressionable seems to stick, like Karma Police, by Radiohead, which was released in the most difficult year of my life coincidentally. I am sure that kids today will have bands and musicians of today who have the same effect on them as my Alternative Rock favs have affected me. I wonder though how this works because shouldn’t music be music? It shouldn’t matter when one heard it, because if it is good, it is good right? Well, true and that is why Thom Yorke and his band of musical geniuses are still busy working today. They are still in demand, they are still relevant and thus they are still pulsating with the undercurrents of today’s people. Their 5 Grammy nominations earlier this year was proof of how badass these guys are.
As for the lyrics to There There; they are self-explanatory. To me it speaks of those fated relationships that we should avoid as they bring a lot of stress, heartache and pain but these negatives are paired with the best and most sublime pleasures which dare to touch the acme of perfection. It speaks of those unions that pull us to the other as we kick and scream trying to get away from the obvious tragedy that shall unfold, but a tragedy that is rewarded by peace of mind of having held on to each other without letting go during the tumultuous storm, the peace of mind of drowning together.
The song also highlights that the two are destined for the collision, and although collisions cause damage to the surface, rendering the individual not as they were originally as they end up being scarred and bruised; the individual is lost forever as two are fused to be one, like a chemical reaction between two substances that transform from their original forms into something new and natural- losing what they originally were in the process. Radiohead is blooming romantic! That’s all I can say. Maybe I have a dark taste in things and so my idea of romance would involve accidents and shipwrecks, but can I say “Titanic”?… shipwrecks are romantic.   
Of course, I am personally into retaining the self, but maybe that's an unrealistic goal. Maybe peace is attained through surrender of the self, letting go, losing control, and letting go of the steering wheel and ... BAM!
I’ve always wondered though what the hook means, “Just ‘cause you feel it, doesn’t mean it’s there”… because at first I saw a matter of delusional love, but as I listened more to the song, I realized that it could be speaking about a case of imagined fears. Irony is beautiful sometimes, even when it is confusing.
Cheerio.
Note: I will reread this when I am more alert to just see what nonsense I could’ve written as I am a little dazed and tired right now. Later.
 I hope it was fun! 

Toodles!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ugh! Bleh! Whatever!

Victory!

I am the Phantom Menace Incarnate!